wtorek, 6 listopada 2012

All Saints' Day vs Halloween

Like almost everyone, every year on All Saints' Day I go to the cementeries to mention those who had gone and to ignite candles on theirs graves. It takes me usually all day because graves of members of my family are outside Poznań. By the way I visit my family which lives there. For me, it's the day for making some reflections and for spending time with my family.

If it comes to halloween, I have nothing against:) I celebrate it every year. When I was a child, I and my friends dressed up as witches or ghosts and we were going from house to house, asking people for candies. We were very creative in making up our costumes and "punishments" for people who didn't give us the sweets;) It was very fun:) In my opinion it is all right to celebrate halloween in that way. A lot of people say that it is wrong because in this time we should mention the deceased, instead of organise parties and enjoy that "bad tradition from the west". Of course, I respect that opinion, but I really don't like when these people criticize ones who enjoy halloween. I am not feel guilty because of celebrating it because I think taht we should remember about those who had gone all the year, not only on All Saints' Day and the day before. And I hope they aren't offended;)

4 komentarze:

  1. seriously you were going from door to door? What kind of punishments? I'm really curious ;p

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. I'm also really curious. I have never took part in this type of play. ;) Were people surprised when they saw you standing right in front of their door?

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. There are a lot of elderly people who live on my housing estate and not everyone knew what the halloween is. The reactions were really different. Some people enjoyed our costumes and they gave the sweets to us with plaisure. But there were of course cases of negative reaction, for example a man who shouted at us holding a broom in his hand to make us scared. But it was funny anyway:D
    If it comes to punishment... we have unrolled a toilet paper and put it around fences (it was the most popular way) or we have broken eggs in front of somebody's house.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  4. I agree with you - everyone may celebrate halloween.
    I'm jealous because I always wanted dress up as a ghost and collect sweets :)

    OdpowiedzUsuń