wtorek, 16 października 2012

The photo which impressed me the most.


With reference to our lesson from last week I would like to share one of picture which I like the most.
This is a photo taken by Kevin Cartner. He was born in Republic of South Africa – his family emigrated there from Great Britain. Carter opposed apartheid, that is a system of racial segregation which was very common in South Africa. His photos have been published in a local newspaper so thanks to photography he could expose brutality of apartheid. In 1993 Carter and his friend went to Sudan with the aim of taking photos of starvation’s victims. One day he noticed a poor little girl who was going to place where food was being given. When she stopped for a while to have a rest, a big vulture landed near by she and observed her. In that moment Kevin Cartner took this photo:


The picture was circulated in many countries. When it appeared  in New York Times, it caused a huge reaction of readers. They wanted to know what happened with the girl. A publisher of the newspaper  wrote in reply to these questions that the girl had run away from the vulture, but they didn’t know if she had reached her destination. Cartner said that after taking a photo he had sat down near a tree and he had been crying for a long time. But people started accuse him of passivity and they couldn’t believe that he hadn’t done anything to help her. This affair was one of the reason why on 27 July 1994 Kevin Cartner commited suicide.

I like this photo for two reasons. Firstly, it makes a really strong expression on me. When I saw it for a first time, I was so flabbergasted that I couldn’t say a word. It just made me think. Secondly, this is not only a picture but also a moving story which is connected with it. It show one of the biggest problems of our world - the problem which we are still wrestle with and which is, unfortunately, still not solved.
I don’t want to write down all the reflections which come to my mind when I look at this photo, because I think that everyone should draw a conclusion by himself.



Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz